Tuesday, February 5, 2013

A New Year, A Not So New You

I am so glad January is over and we've moved into February. The first month of the year is a funny month to me. It's full of cleaning up, getting back into the routine, and resolutions. Ah, those resolutions.




I typically don't make resolutions. If I make some big resolution come January 1, one that I can't keep, it'll just disappoint me. I'll be all mad at myself, thinking I am a total failure. I mean, let's be honest. I am never going to be a size 0 so why resolve to trim down to one? Not gonna happen. Stop swearing? Nope. I have been talking like a sailor since I could, well, talk. Give up all Diet Coke? Not likely. What would my sweet friend at McDonald's do if I didn't drive thru her line daily? See, I know myself and know my limits. I know where I need to improve, but also know I simply don't want to badly enough. Not everyone is like this, though.



At a recent doctor's appointment, I was put in a room and told to wait (no surprise there, right). While counting the tiles on the ceiling, I overheard a woman outside my door talking with the nurse. "Surely I can't weight that much," she said. She proceeded to try to convince the nurse to alter her weight on her records. "I mean, these jeans weigh a lot. And, I think I am going to start my period soon. I know that a lot of this is water weight." I listened to this pitiful woman debate, and nearly threaten, this young pup of a nurse for what seemed to be 10 minutes. It was hilarious, sad, and totally crazy. I loved every minute of it.

Here's the thing. We all have something we want to change about ourselves. There's always room for improvement. But, is it worth strong-arming some 20-something in scrubs? I think not. So, while I try to do my best and be my best this 2013, I am going to resolve to do one thing well. I resolve to accept who I am. And that includes never pressuring a nurse, even if the number of the scales is absolutely terrifying. Small steps, folks. Small steps.

1 comment:

Beddy9 said...

you are hilarious. and you are an inspiration. love you woman.

Post a Comment