Monday, March 11, 2013

Spring Break Day One - The Breakfast Club Saves the Day

So, here's the thing. I've begun this dang blog nearly every single time with a confession of how crappy I am at it. I can't seem to get to writing it on a regular basis. Why? Uh, kids, actual paying jobs with deadlines, laundry and dishes, homework ... you know, the stuff called "life." I intend to write it more often, but I'll be honest, it'll probably never happen. Still today, a few small words motivated me to get to the computer and write something.

Saturday, March 24, 1984.

Yep. Those were the words. A few of you (if there's even anyone reading this silly thing) should know what I am referring to ... the one-and-only cult classic The Breakfast Club. You see folks, it's Spring Break here, which might as well be called "Mommy No Break." I finally got a few seconds to sit down and breathe, sans child tugging on my leg, so I flipped on the tv. What did I hear?

Saturday, March 24, 1984.

It only took those words to make me so super, uber happy. It's terribly sad, I know. Many people take a nice long jog and find happiness. Others read poetry. Some catch up with an old friend or meditate. I flip on the tv and find The Breakfast Club. I am thrilled. I woke up this morning and thought Spring Break might be the end of me, and that's on DAY ONE. As I am watching the sun set and the day come to a close, I realize, it only takes an eighties movie to save it.



I think The Breakfast Club revolves around some of the coolest characters ever, played by some of the most insanely awesome actors ever. It's quotable, memorable, funny, heartfelt, endearing, awkward, heartbreaking, hilarious, maddening, and brilliant. Big words, I know. I didn't even have to whip out the Thesaurus. Those suckers just popped right out because this flick is so deserving. If anyone ever asked me to write an essay describing who I think I am, as this motley, yet fascinating and inspiring, crew was assigned, I could only hope and pray I'd come up with something a fraction as great as their group response. I won't list all of my favorite quotes in fear of ruining it for the freak out there who might not know this film, by heart at that. Do yourself a favor, on a day that seems particularly stressful and crappy, send everyone away and make this your medicine. Memorize it. Watch it. This folks, is making Spring Break look pretty darn good ...





No comments:

Post a Comment